The optical microscope has a long history stretching back to the early 17th century in Europe. This unit was produced in 1947 by the Bausch & Lomb Company of Rochester, NY. The company dates back to its 1853 founding by German immigrants, J.J. Bausch and H.C. Lomb. The microscope is arguably one of the most commonly recognized pieces of scientific equipment. The typical compound optical microscope, like the one shown here, uses two lenses to expand the visible light-illuminated object to create an enlarged image. Modern microscopes often use non-visible light, such as X-rays or even beams of electrons, to prove the object and allow for far greater magnification.
12.5 x 36 x 20 cm
Matthew J. Brown
NJIT Otto H. York Department of Chemical, Biological and Pharmaceutical Engineering
microscope, optical microscope, bausch & lomb, bausch and lomb